TMTC  

Go Back   TMTC > TMTC Member Forums > BMRA

Unread 09-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Motorcycle Trails

To all you BMRA MC Riders:
As always the trails are in need of cleaning and maintenance. Today at Barnwell we have the UTV units to assist in accomplishing just that. We will take you to the beginning of a trail and when you get to the next road intersection you can call a staff member to come pick you up. Loppers, Chainsaw or hand saw, and machetes are all that's needed to do what needs to be done.

We have many sections of trails that have been adopted in the past, but for one reason or another the adopters have fallen away and abandoned their sections.
If you are interested in adopting a section please feel free to PM me here or call the front office.

Thanks

Scott
Unread 09-13-2014, 04:16 PM
BMRA BOD CHAIR

Send a message via Skype™ to srvpoet

Christie and I began riding at BMRA in 2004 and became TMTC members. We came to several work weekends and put in many hours of volunteer time for the park. The first trail we helped trim was Cassity's Curve. This trail and the perimeter trail along the fence was one of here favorites. For that reason, after her tragic death, the BMRA board dedicated the trail that crosses Cassity's Curve to her. It was on Memorial weekend of 2008 and Chris Jester held the dedication. I then, paid $1,000.00 to TMTC for a lifetime membership. At my last board meeting as Chairman in 2013, I officially adopted Christie's Curves. After seeing Scott's post on this forum, I made it a priority to do some trail maintenance.

I arrived at BMRA, 8:15 AM this morning and was met at the office by Scott Tipton. He carried me to the trail-head of Christie's Curves in one of the BMRA UTV's.

I cleaned up the area around the bench and trail-head sign. I found five trees down across the trail that had to be sawed and pulled off the trail. Since the trail is only about a mile, it only took two hours to complete.

On the way there, I asked Scott how many sections of the motorcycle trail were adopted. He said he had the book at the office but did not really answer my question. He said that he had not seen a lot of the people who adopted the trails and that they were going to “start over” and put the trails up for adoption without contacting anyone. That concerned me. I explained that when I was on the board I tried to contact the person who had adopted Angry Jeep and after a month or two, the board (by a vote) allowed the Trail Lizards to adopt the trail. They filled out the official trail adoption form. I explained that many people who adopt trails and campsites may work on them and not necessarily let the office know what they have done, so there may not be a record of it. On the other hand, there are other adopted trails that do not get maintained like they should. Either way, there should be a system in place to keep track of adopted trails. Those files should be kept updated as often as possible. Before leaving the office today, the office manager had me fill out a form showing my volunteer hours worked and I signed it. There was no mention of updating the adopted trail files however. My suggestion is if you have an adopted trail at BMRA, keep it maintained or you may lose it. I don't intend to lose mine.
TMTC Lifetime Member #4260

"Christie's Curves"